How to write a good Cover Letter?
Are you applying for a job vacancy? Don’t forget to accompany your CV with a well written cover letter. A well written cover letter increases your chances of a meeting with the recruiter but ensure that your cover letter should not be a replica of your CV.
Here are some tips on writing a good cover letter to be sent along with the CV.
- Ensure that you don’t have a generic cover letter for all job requirements. It is very necessary to modify it according to the job requirement. If you do not want to take the load of modifying the letter every time you send out a job application, your chances of getting a job also become bleak.
- Try to find out the recruiters name, if possible and address the cover letter to him/ her otherwise address it to the Hiring Manager.
- Come straight away to the subject without beating around the bush. The subject of the cover letter should clearly state its purpose. For e.g. Application for the position of Marketing Manager.
- Give a brief introduction about yourself and the reference to the job notification to which you are responding.
- In the next paragraph mention how does your candidature fit into the requirements of the notified job opening. May be you can pick up 4-5 important points from the job profile and write about your qualifications opposite to them.
- End the letter with a courteous note and ask them to feel free to let you know if they need any further information about your candidature.
- Follow up your application with the concerned person in 10-12 days. This shows your seriousness in the job opening.
If your CV has to fetch you an interview call, your cover letter needs to compel the prospective employer read your CV.
Make your cover letter an interesting document, from the reader’s point of view. It should be so focused on employer’s interests that he should not be able to decline reading the CV. If your cover letter can do this, it has achieved its purpose.
To ensure that you get it right the first time, there are some Dos and Don’ts of writing a cover letter. However, you may have to go against the suggestions at times, depending upon the need. There is no harm in doing so if you are doing it purposely.
Dos of writing a cover letter
• Keep it short and simple
• Address the letter to a person rather than to a Madam/Sir
• Every time you send it out, customize your cover letter
• Write from reader’s point of view rather than yours
• Start with something interesting about their job notification or their recent news, to catch their attention
• Direct the reader to your CV, mentioning about some key skills notified in the advertisement and how your candidature fits into them
• Be assertive but polite
• Get the spellings and the grammar correct
• Prompt the reader to take an action
Don’ts of writing a cover letter
• Dear Sir/Madam. Find out the name of the responsible person and address your cover letter to him
• ‘I’, ‘my’ in the cover letter make you egomaniac
• Aggressive language
• Spelling mistakes are the biggest turn off
• Addressing your self as Mr. / Ms.
• Sending out hand written cover letters
• Sounding tentative until you willfully want to.
One very important thing which you have to keep in mind while writing your cover letter, if you are addressing it to Dear XYZ, it needs ‘Yours sincerely’ at the end, while if you are addressing it to Dear Sir, it should end with Yours faithfully.
If you ensure that you follow these tips while writing your cover letter, the chances of your CV getting short listed for an interview are quite bright. So, when you want to draft your next cover letter, don’t forget to go through these tips before starting.
32 S Panipat Road,
Date: 26th Jan, 2012.
HR Manager, Fanncom, Inc.,
323 South Delhi Road,
Gurgaon, Haryana 10945,
Dear Mr. Swaroop Roy,
I am interested in an entry-level management accounting position available in Fabrikam, Inc. I have visited your web site recently and there I got the news that you are hiring people in your company. I am having genuine interest in furniture industry and I also learned carpentry. I have already developed the working knowledge of furniture manufacturing.
I have also enclosed my resume with this letter. It describes about my educational background and experience I am having in furniture industry. I have completed my graduation with a bachelor’s degree in business administration in May 2004.
Recently I have written a research paper on the furniture industry. As per my study I believe that we are having many opportunities for expanding furniture markets, especially in the international field. Trends in consumer demands are changing and the overseas wages are rising thats why opportunities for domestic manufacturing and marketing functions are increasing.
I have done research on 15 furniture manufacturing companies, and I found them all to be successful. I am especially excited about Fabrikam, Inc. after analyzing companies most recent annual report. Fabrikam, Inc is having growth strategy foreseeing the trends, and becoming a strong competitive edge in the industry.
I have completed my education from Mafoi University and I am going to appear for the Management Accountant (CMA) exam. I believe that my genuine enthusiasm and strong work ethic will be an asset for your company.
I will call you next monday to confirm with the interview date and time. Thank you for your precious time and consideration.
Jan 16th, 2012
Ms. Aastha Sagar
Alpena Power Company
411 North 9th Ave.
Rajiv Chawk, Delhi 49708
I was referred to you by Mrs. Vaishali Kishor, a partner of yours in the Washington office, who let me know that the Florida office of Big Public Accounting is looking for accountants for your internal audit.
I have approximately eight years of accounting experience in the business sector. I will be granted a BBA this October from the Florida State University. I am sure of my proficiency and excellent educational qualifications and my internship period has prepared me for making a contribution to your firm. My educational background and professional expertise in business will provide your company with a profitable Auditor.
I will be in Florida on the week of October 19th. Please feel free to call me at 207-232-3950 to arrange a job interview. I look forward to meeting you then.
This is with reference to your advertisement for “.Net Developer” in the “Job Site ”. I wish to be considered for the same.
I hold a Degree in Electronics & Communication Engineering from MG University. I have been working in Excel Wings Software Solutions,Kottayam as a .Net Developer for the past One and half year.
Currently, I am looking for an opening which would offer me a more challenging role as well as better career prospects. I would definitely like to be associated with a fast-growing company like yours. I would be able to bring to your company my knowledge and experience in the field, which could be mutually beneficial.
I am herewith enclosing my Resume for your perusal. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Greetings to you, This is Nihesh, I am having around 6 yrs of working experience in developing web and windows based applications using c#, asp.net, SQL server and Biz Talk server and SharePoint Server 2007.
I am here with my updated CV and below are my details.
Apropos to your notification for the job opening ‘XXXXXXXXXXXXX’ on www.eduxam.com, please find attached my CV for your consideration.
Should you need any further details, please do let me know.
Email address: XXXXXXX@gmail.com
Years of experience: Fresher
Contact Number: XXXXXXX
A propos to your notification for the job opening ‘…….’ on www.eduxam.com, please find attached my CV for your consideration.
Should you need any further details, please do let me know.
With respect to the above mentioned subject, I am forwarding my resume to your esteemed organization.
I am student of ……., graduated from ………. I am submitting my resume . I express my extreme desire to offer my service to your prestigious firm and thereby developing my own technological skills.
I am submitting herewith my resume for your perusal and favourable consideration for the suitable profile in your company.
I am interested in working for an organization that will allow optimal use of my drive and core competencies for corporate benefit.
I am a creative thinker who believes in applying analysis and creativity to problem solving and decision making. I am a sincere and diligent individual who is able to adapt to changing environments and situations, with a view to constantly updating myself through fresh learning opportunities.
My enclosed resume will provide you further details about my credentials. I would greatly appreciate being given an opportunity for a personal interview.
I recieved a mail regarding the job opening and would like to know the scheduled date for interview, I have worked on projects involving Core Java, Html, jsp and JDBC, Servlets. Let me know when I can attend the interview.
Thanks and regards,
This is the sample cover letter to accompany your CV while you are applying to an advertised job.
May 16th, 2007
Sub: Application for the post of ______ (reference).
- Long term planning and forecasting of raw material supply for XYZ co.
- Developing geographically spread supply sources for XYZ co.
- Providing cost effective solutions to XYZ co.
- Establishing and maintaining quality standards across XYZ co.
- Developing annual raw materials procurement plans, negotiating tenders and contracts.
- Establishing policies and procedures for suppliers for XYZ co.
- Leading supply chain process, formulating inventory planning process for XYZ co.
If I have properly understood the profile for the position of Senior Manager- Raw Material
then you will find that I certainly fit into your requirements. My attached CV throws a
light on my success in this career.
It will be my pleasure to meet you in person and discuss what more can I offer to XYZ co. as its
Senior Manager-Raw Materials. In case you need any further details about my candidature,
please feel free to contact me.
Looking forward to an opportunity for further discussions
Recruitment Manager’s name,
Dear Sir/ Madam,
XYZ company enjoys the reputation of being one of the most sought after employers in India .
After XYZ has revealed its expansion plans in North West India to cater to its growing clientele,
I expect you will need technically skilled employees to manage and lead the development team.
Can I assist you in this important area?
My skills include:
• Experience in managing full lifecycle of software projects within an SDLC framework.
• Strong knowledge of project management principles, portfolio management, resource optimization, value and cost analysis and management.
• Deep knowledge of software development lifecycle and methodologies.
• Excellent leadership, communication and presentation skills.
• Successful track record producing results with limited supervision.
I have attached my detailed CV with this cover letter, for your reference. It would be my pleasure to discuss the details in a personal meeting with you. Perhaps I may call you next week to seek an appointment.
This is the sample cover letter to accompany your CV while you are sending your application to a placement agency.
Placement Agency’s Name
I had sent my last CV to you 3 months back. Please find attached an updated copy of it.
It will be my pleasure to put a face to the name and CV. Could you please give me an appointment to meet you in person? Perhaps I shall call you next week to secure an appointment and discuss my candidature with you in person.
If you need any further information from me, please do let me know.