The topics of group discussion need not always be of corporate nature or relating to current affairs. The topics could go on like ‘ Love marriage or Arranged marriage’ Or other sensitive issues like ‘ Should alimony be given’. These are delicate subjects where normally youthful thoughts are filtered and weighed with lot of personal experiences. What comes up here is that, qualities of defending an issue and articulation of a subject is projected for the management to decide upon short listing a candidate.
Brain-Drain is loss of some talented resources (like technical and intellectual personnel). This loss is due to migration of such people due to lack of opportunities, conflicts etc.
- Brain Drain can be stopped by recognizing “genuine” talent rather than donations etc. There should be more trade and exchange of goods. More job opportunities should be provided to people.
- Employees in India leave the country and opt for studies aboard only because they can work and study. In India this is not possible.
- People here are barely able save. Due to this, the professionals prefer to stay out of the country for better prospects and save money.
- Universities need to offer opportunities not just for studies but also jobs on the campus. This way students can also work and study. If they can get such provisions in their own country, Brain-Drain can definitely be stopped.
The other side of the coin can be seen from a positive perspective.
- If people go out for future studies, they do come back to their home country. This means more talent and experience is welcomed.
- No matter what we do, brain-drain cannot be stopped because of the mindset of people. However, if measures are taken, it can be controlled.
Nationalizing water resources would mean the control of handling all water resources like Dam’s, rivers, pipes etc. would be handled nationally or by the state.
- Nationalizing water resources would stabilize and equalize water supply throughout the nation.
- Just like electricity, even water is available in abundance in some parts of the country while some have scarcity. This can be reduced.
- Most of the times inter-state disputes arise.
- Floods, droughts can be handled effectively.
- Nationalizing water resources is not something that can be done overnight. This process can take years.
- All the states need to mutually agree on all terms and conditions. This negotiation can be a big task in itself.
The basic need of any species is water. The citizens of any nation want irregular water supply. Most of the times, the urban areas get water while the rural areas are taken for granted. As long as water is distributed “equally” nationalizing may not make much of a difference.
Gambling is a process of putting some money or assets at stake with the hopes of wining some more money over a game or match etc.
Gambling cannot be legalized because:-
- Legalizing gambling can affect young children a lot. Since it can get a person a lot of money in an easy way, young children may follow the wrong path.
- Gambling becomes addictive very easily. This leads to a lot of debts. Family problems occur and there are fights in the house.
- Even though gambling may get a lot of money, if a person looses, social impact is heavy.
- Citizens should be encouraged for better things rather than legalizing gambling. Gambling undoubtedly may generate a lot of revenue; legalizing gambling will make people loose their savings in the thirst of earning money the easy way.
- Legalizing gambling would also attract people who didn’t gamble at all!
- Gambling may lead to political corruption as well.
Gambling can be legal because:-
- It may generate a lot of revenue for the government
- It is a form of relaxation for many people.
- Many illegal casinos may open which is even worse.
- It could serve as an additional source of income.
There are some people who may not be able to earn some money because of some disability. Gambling could be the right choice for them. How much to gamble depends on individual. As long as the person does not create domestic issues and violence as long as he does not become additive, gambling is OK.
The statement will sound surprising to any reader. The first question that will come across in anyone’s mind would be “How can computer viruses be good?”. If we look the positive side of this, may be people can come up with viruses that can:-
- Kill other viruses!
- Encrypts the hard disk so that it cannot be used elsewhere.
- A virus that can replicate on the network to perform some cleaning task.
All of above can obviously probe many issue like:-
- Unauthorized access to any machine
- It would consume network bandwidth and resources.
- A control over the replication of the virus will be a major issue.
- Distinguishing between a good virus and a malicious one!
All the types of viruses above were tried to be designed. However, all of them had some or the other flaws. The ideal way to make a good virus would be to design in such way that it is not malicious, not self replicating; it is able to distinguish itself from other viruses.
The virus should be published and sponsored. This will enable people to develop some trust amongst people.
The virus should be able to authenticate itself using some cryptographic methods.
United Nations has an organization called UN Security Council that is responsible for peacekeeping. Five members of this team are permanent members while ten are chosen every 2 years. Peacemaking was introduces at the end of cold war and has undergone immense changes. It keeps evolving to meet the political demands as well.
Whenever a problem arises, the UN tries to resolve it peacefully. in order to accomplish this, UN can:-
- Call for more people and resources.
- Reinforce their decisions.
- Orders for sanctions which may include an arms embargo, trade and finance restrictions.
- The main motive to have peacekeeping is help countries torn by conflict.
- Peacemakers were never allowed to fight. They were supposed to enact in case of ceasefire.
- In order to have peacekeeping, the council had a common pattern. This included drafting guidelines for a specific operation but exercised little actual direction over the operation.
Even though UN may be trying its best for peacekeeping, individual citizens are the most important key element peacekeeping.
Peace can be brought everywhere as long as we want it to stay.
We all know it for a fact that media is know for its freedom of speech. In a democratic country like India, media plays a very important role.
- It broadcasts news nearly 24/7 and 365 days a year.
- It helps people realize their duties.
- It helps people get an update of each and every event happening around the world.
- It introduces new job opportunities in fields like journalism, advertising etc.
- It helps the country fight against issues like terrorism.
- It helps people realize the economic status of the counties all over the globe.
- It helps citizens realize how people in the army lay their lives to save ours!
Some people on the other hand feel media has lost its respect.
- Most of the times media unnecessarily creates a hype of everything.
- The lives of celebrities are often disclosed in an unethical manner.
- Most of the times, it wastes its time in silly matters like domestic issues rather than digging into the cause behind them.
- Most of the times their allegations are not true. This puts lives of many people and their career at stake.
- The verbiage used by media at times is very offensive. This is done to grasp the audience’s attention.
It’s true that we can’t live without media. Most of us switch to news the first channel we surf once the television is on. Media helps different countries to “talk” to each other. As long as the allegations are not false and the news don’t hurt any sentiments of an individual or community, we all can accept media with open hands.
Managerial skills learnt in the classroom can never match those learnt from experience
It’s true that the Managerial skills learnt in the classroom can never match those learnt from experience. For some people, what we learn in schools, colleges are never made use of the in real life experiences.
- The managerial skills taught in classroom are too theoretical for any real life scenarios.
- They are not taught how to handle pressure, stress etc.
- There are many scenarios which obviously cannot be covered in few months of curriculum.
- In a practical experience we meet different people, learnt different things.
- Managerial skills in theory are very “generic”. This is not the case in case of real life experiences.
- In real life, depending on the work environment and people, one needs to change the way work can be managed.
It will be unfair to pass judgment that Managerial skills learnt in the classroom can never match those learnt from experience.
- It is a known fact that most of the business tycoons have studied from the top B schools.
- What is learnt in classroom may not completely match with real life scenarios, however, the basics of any manager are patience, ability to motivate and manage a team.
- Such basics are always experienced in real life, although in different forms.
What really matters is, how well a manger can handle his company. If the company employees are happy, it does not matter what he learnt in classroom is being made us of or not. A key to any good manager is to motivate the Employee and consider their personal issues.
- Advertising gets the consumers close to the products.
- People are aware of the pros and cons of a product. They can make their own decisions of what’s good for them.
- Creates job opportunities for many people.
- Advertising is a mean of promoting goods. Since more people become aware, there is more revenue.
- Advertising on TV is a big relief from the daily tele soaps that have nothing but drama.
- Advertising plays an important role in passing information such as AIDS, contraception etc. people are aware of health disorders and how to overcome them.
Spending so much on advertising is not called for.
- Instead of this, money can be spent on other issue like poverty etc.
- Most of the celebrities that are endorsed don’t even use the product. It is simply to mislead the consumer.
- Most of the children products like games; chocolates are simply to lure children even though the product may not be healthy.
- By spending a lot of money, the brand producers are not even bothered whether or not their product is being sold or not.
- Most of the times, the advertisements are not even ethical. To promote their product, the advertisement can go against any other product of some other brand.
Most of the times advertisements spend so much of money on flashy videos, images, animation etc without having the need to help consumers realize how economical can the product be.
Advertising, to summarize is acceptable. Although, it does not make sense to spend a lot of time and money by endorsing big celebrities, end of the day, what matters is the product not the ambassador. People, due to curiosity may even try and use the product, however, not for a long time. As long as the consumers are aware of the “facts”, advertising is fine.
Privatization is transmitting of ownership from the public sector to the private sector.
Corruption could be in any form and any field whether it is related to money, politics, and medicine.
- People out of fear of being noticed very fast may be less corrupt.
- It reduces prices of goods and has less interference of government.
- There is a close relation between employees and managers. They both work together in order to maximize profits in the correct way. Certainly, if there are profits, corruption will be less.
- Salaries of people are high as compared to government sector. People are constantly motivated. This reduces the changes of bribes etc.
- Privatization gives more liberty to people.
- Privatization will introduce more risk. More risk means people to save their assets will certainly get into corruption by any means.
- Privatization may lead to monopoly. People are free to make any sort of “Adjustments”.
- Corruption as a matter of fact has got nothing to do with public or private sector. It entirely depends on the people.
- Privatizing a sector is not the solution. People are corrupt in almost all hierarchies.
Corruption in itself is bad and not acceptable from any sector and any form. Biggest examples would be Satyam. The government should not just take strict action against corruption but also try and speculate over means to avoid it.
NGO’s are non government organizations. They work for welfare of people without any greed of money or profit.
- Politicians barely do anything for the country. NGO’s are there to fill those gaps.
- They are well known as building blocks of the global community and as contributors to economic production, employment, institutional innovation, and technology.
- They work for the people and enjoy support of a lot of people. They support people and work represents their voice.
- In most cases NGO’s prove to handle issues much better than the government, however, they cannot replace the government.
- Even today, unfortunately there many NGO’s that produce fake papers and work and take support from government.
- If NGO’s can work for people’s interest without any intention of money and profit, they can be a better substitute of the government.
China has always been compared to India in terms of population and technological advancements. China undoubtedly has a humongous software market, but is definitely not a threat.
- India has its own unique power and intelligence.
- Indian IT companies have captured Asia and Japan as well.
- India is becoming one of the world’s largest internet and mobile user’s country.
- India’s mobile market is growing by leaps and bounds.
- Most countries prefer employees from India rather than China because of communication barrier. English is spoken by almost all IT industries in India.
- India has a large consumer and industrial market, all thirsting for products, with great brands and distribution networks.
There is no doubt that India may take many years to have a market like China.
- China has a huge population. Moreover people there are advancing each passing day.
- China launches new mobiles, technologies, automobiles almost everyday.
- China’s automobile industry is much bigger than India’s. it can therefore serve quality products at lower cost.
- China has a string support from the government. Indian IT industries have negligible support.
- China launches many products like gadgets etc everyday. Because of this they can sell them at a cheaper rate.
China’s market cannot be a thread untie India considers and works on each opportunity that comes its way. It should efficiently make use all possible resources and infrastructure to welcome foreign investment and manpower hiring.
- Credit card at times can be the most convenient way to do a lot of things.
- Credit card can be most useful when one is cashless!
- Credit card if lost can be easily blocked.
- It helps in easy cashless shopping. People can buy many things which they can’t afford in cash.
- Credit card allows people to make online payments and shopping.
- Credit card is the best for people who travel frequently and can’t carry much cash. They are accepted world wide.
- No hassle of exchanging currency notes.
- After all it’s “Credit”!
- Many a times people in excitement tend to misuse the card. This leads to huge credit card bills.
- The finance charges and late fee charges of credit card is high.
- If misused, they can spoil credit history of an individual.
- For youngsters especially, credit card is the last thing to posses.
- They can be a little dangerous to use online unless there is SSL (secured layer).
If credit card can make ones life easier, it can be a disaster as well. As long as people have control over it, credit cards can be the best and convenient things to possess.
Business Process Outsourcing is one the most booming industries in India. When a company “contracts” another company of some roles and responsibilities of a certain business function, it is termed as outsourcing. The responsibilities can either be back office like HR and Finance or front office like customer relations.
India has numerous BPO’s. Most countries prefer to outsource in India because of cheap labor.
Advantages of BPO’s
- Have increased tremendous job opportunities.
- Youngsters, house wives are the most common of the lot. College going students get more than their pocket money.
- Obviously, gets revenue to the country.
Disadvantages of BPO’s
- Most BPO’s have processes outsourced from countries like US and UK. The difference in time zones is a major hurdle.
- This difference leaves the employees with no choice but to work in the night.
- Introduces health disorders.
- Domestic issues are introduced especially if one partner works in the day.
- Since the employees work in the night, it becomes unsafe for women. Most of the rape cases read in recent past were employees of BPO are where the women are alone in the CAB.
BPO’s in India are definitely booming and introducing more and more job opportunities. It helps people to become independent at a very young age.
The major concern of BPO’s in India is the risk. Risk is both to the owner who has invested the money and the employees who have no job security.
Terrorism has been here for years. And all that we do is – Talk! Whenever there is a terror attack, the government takes precautionary measures for few months.
The ideal way to deal with terrorism is education. Illiteracy has brought a lot of issues anyway.
- Terrorism is one amongst them. People need to know the harm terrorism causes. One of the reasons behind terrorism is religion.
- People blindly believe in religion without having the need to know its preaching’s.
- The hype created is another issue. The media creates so much of hype of the security measures that the terrorists become cautious.
- Terrorism needs to be dealt peacefully. Becoming nervous is not going to help. Government needs to be diligent and be able to anticipate any attacks.
- Few people create havoc by giving hoax calls. This should not be done.
- All countries must cooperate with each other in order to deal with terrorism.
- Utmost security measures should be taken in public places like hospitals, airports, railways station etc. this should be irrespective of the size and popularity of the public place.
- The victims of the family must be supported not just in monetary terms, But also emotionally. Money cannot replace the lost one. However a moral support and a security can.
- All countries need to be a little more organized in terms of politics, traffic and other communal issues.
If a terrorist attack occurs, people should not panic. They must help the victims in order to deal with it.
Corruption is any unfair means to get your work done. Corruption exists in almost in every sector. In small terms corruption exists in colleges where students pay to get marks. In big terms it exists in politics!
As we know, democracy means of the people, for the people and by the people. It is to help people leave the way they want. This liberty however can be misused. Hence a question here is “Is democracy resulting in corruption”?
- Democracy makes everyone a free bird. Some people especially the politicians make use of this in the wrong way.
- Though it is unfair to say that because of Democracy, corruption is existent, however, the fact remains that democracy provides equality to everyone that results in people to have their own aims.
- These aims may not always necessarily be for the country.
- Democracy allows people to choose their leader. The leaders can thus easily buy votes!
- Corruption is not a direct result of democracy. It can exist anyway. At the end of the day, it is an individual’s decision to spread corruption or not.
- When people are given a choice to their leader, they must think twice before doing so. If they accept bribe it is not democracy that can be blamed.
To summarizes, corruption in whole should be stopped. Whether it is a direct outcome of anything or not, it does not matter.
A beauty contest is a platform where women all over the globe compete for a pageant. Well renowned beauty pageants are Miss World, Miss Universe etc.
- Beauty pageants give women a platform to showcase their talent.
- It helps them realize their inner self and confidence.
- It helps them realize that they are no less and gives them new opportunities.
- Many leading actresses have won beauty pageants.
- An ordinary girl gets a celebrity status.
- It’s not just about winning the pageant. A girl learns to become more responsible because she has to also do a lot of social work.
- Most of the beauty pageants are considered to be vulgar and harm to youngsters.
- The swim wear of the show is considered to be a little offensive.
- Many women give up their religious and cultural sentiments to win the pageant!
- Many young girls leave their education for such pageants.
At the end of the day it’s an individual’s perspective. Some say that beauty pageants bring in a lot of opportunities for women while some believe it may be offensive. It is undoubtedly a platform for young girls to achieve a lot in life
Multinational companies cannot be a devil in disguise. They bring in revenue; provide job opportunities to thousands of people. It helps the country to get a global recognition. They undoubtedly work majorly to get profits.
- However it should not be forgotten that they bring quality to the services and raise the economy.
- Most of the multinationals provides seamless services to employees like transport, accommodations, food, insurance, crèche etc.
- The companies give high salaries to employees that keep them motivated. Few multinationals also provide future studies opportunities thereby assisting employees in their career.
- They give onsite opportunities to people which helps them interacting with more people.
- For some people, all that glitters is not gold! Few people think that they are devils in disguise because of the pressure and the work they expect from their employees.
- This pressure leads to domestic issues, violence etc. no doubt they give high salary packages, but even take double the work from the employees.
Most of the multinational companies have clients from US and UK. Because of this the employees needs to manage two time zones. This indeed leads to health disorders.
Joint families were a very common phenomenon in India. Today, until the members are not having a common business, joint families are rarely seen. Most of the children if salaried, stay out of their native place and prefer to have a nuclear family.
- There is more attachment between family members.
- There is a better cost control, educations assistance.
- A sense of moral support is always there.
- Since there are more people, you can share your problems, grief’s etc.
- The children usually feel neglected in case of a nuclear family especially in cases where both parents are working.
- Since children stay with elders since childhood, they are more mannered, respect others and become more responsible.
- There is no freedom. There is too much of intrusion.
- More people would mean more misunderstandings. This leads to more disputes in monetary terms as well.
- In nuclear families, since people meet less often, they value each other even more.
- The family members, especially the elderly keep questioning. This introduces more conflicts especially amongst youngsters.
- In most cases, conflicts in joint families are usually over property. We have seen so many of such cases in news as well.
Whether a family is joint or nuclear, what really matters is respect for elders and unity.
Each family member must stand by another when in need. End of the day, it entirely depends on an individual whether or not he realizes his duties.
Gone the times when women used to sit at him only for domestic responsibilities. Even in India, people are becoming more liberal and more women are entering the corporate world.
- It’s a known fact that women are more organized than men.
- Women anyway most of the time effectively handle all domestic responsibilities even in the financial domain.
- They are good managers at home. This definitely makes a difference when compared to men.
- Women are more focused and have better leadership skills.
- Women have better selling abilities when compared to men.
- Women have a more pleasing personality and convincing powers.
- Women have many other domestic responsibilities. They may not be able to handle so much stress.
- Women usually are more emotional. This can definitely affect their work and professional relationships. They may not be able to balance emotional and professional distances.
- Most women to reach at the top may just make misuse of certain laws for their rights.
- Women are known for their sacrificing and adjusting behavior. This is definitely not a trait of a good manager.
- Women tend to stretch and exaggerate a lot. This cannot be acceptable in work environment.
In the history of many cultures, women have always surpassed men in all aspects. However, we must not forget that women are far more emotional than men. As long as the emotions don’t intrude in their work, women can definitely be better managers than men!
It’s true that examinations help to evaluate an individual academically, however following are some negative aspects:-
- Exams unnecessarily pressurize the student.
- In India especially, there are many exams annually. Student barely has any time for extra curricular activities.
- Most of the exams structure and design are not sufficient to evaluate the real capabilities of the student.
- Exams in India are based on marks. Grades can be an appropriate mechanism.
If exams can be a curse, it can also help a child:-
- It helps the student stay connected to his books and keep him on his toes.
- Exams help the student understand pressure which he/she will face in their professional lives.
- Exams help in facing competition.
- If students are only taught, there is no way to judge if they have understood what is being taught.
Exams should not be theoretical. Most questions should be multiple choice and objective to really understand the analytical ability of the child.
As long as the Exams are not very theoretical and are prepared to evaluate a students understanding ability rather than marks, examinations are definitely important. Moreover, it should be understood that judging a student mere on marks cannot be justified.
Euthanasia can be also called as mercy killing. It is a process of giving an easy and painless death to someone. There are some people who feel that euthanasia should be legal because that is the last resort. On the other hand some feel it’s a crime.
Mercy killing is done when the patient is terminally ill and there are no chances of the person to live. The person is in pain and stress. Some countries like Netherlands have euthanasia legalized and at times term it as a dignified form of death.
It should not be legalized because:-
- Each individual has the right to end their life.
- There could be hope of the person to live. Miracles happen as well!
- According to many religions, the ultimate decision maker is GOD. And may be God wants the person to live.
It should be legalized because:-
- It is a pain free death. It could relief the person.
- It saves the person from pain and misery.
- The patient has anyways lost all hopes to live. It could a new value to his life.
- It’s not just about the patient. The relatives and closed ones go through a bad phase as well. This is because they have to see someone they love someone in so much pain.
We as humans have no rights to kill anyone. As long as the patient gets to speak and says his last wish, euthanasia should be OK. It can be legalized as long as the laws are strict. The government needs to lay down situations that should be followed. In a country like India it is a little difficult because of the diverse religious beliefs of people.
The topic needs to be understood thoroughly. Three professions are described here:-
- Air hostess
We need to understand that the nature of jobs for all these professions is very different.
An air hostess interacts with hundreds of people everyday. She works more like a customer service agent.
It is important that she is charming and fit. After all she needs to serve the passengers. Hence it is necessary to fire over weight air hostesses.
On the other hand, it does not matter politicians are unfit.
- Politicians are supposed to use their intelligence, analytical skills and smartness to frame out different policies and strategies for the citizens. All the attributes are independent of their weight!
- History has proved that so many politicians who weren’t physically fit have done a lot for the country.
- They need to concentrate on delicate issues like poverty, drainage etc rather than their weight.
- Obviously, this does not mean they can be “unfit” and spoil their health!
Policemen, to some extent should be physically fit.
- Their work is strenuous most of the times.
- They are supposed to physically and mentally protect the citizens.
- They may need to run behind thieves, criminals etc. it is important they should be physically fit.
- They can be given warnings and a time span to reduce weight. If they fail to do so, they must be fired.
Most of the times, children complain that their parents fail to understand them. The root cause behind this is “generation gap”.
- This was not so common in olden days. This was because women used to get married at an early age. Hence, the generation gap was as much as it is today.
- Today, most of the parents (both) are working. Hence, they cannot always fulfill emotional needs of the child.
- Parents should to understand that times have changed. Children today are quite open about everything.
- Thanks to internet, children are obviously more advanced. Parents need to understand that in order to survive competition children need to be aware of all advancements.
Blaming the parents always is also not justified.
- With the advancement of technology and liberal ideas, children today tend to expect a lot.
- When a child is small, he expects to have the latest games. As he grows, he expects to have the latest bikes and so on. It is not always possible for parents to understand each need of their child.
- Thanks to media and television, Children today are more liberal. Awareness of almost all social issues is quite high.
- Children should at times understand that it’s unfair to expect parents to understand them always knowing that they belong to different generation.
Eventually, it all depends on how the child is raised. If right from childhood, children are shown violence, divorce, financial glitches etc, they can’t be blamed. A child needs to be nurtured the right way
Very few Indians at least will agree to this statement. In India, in most of the villages couples still pray for sons more than daughters.
- However, it is a known fact that daughters are more caring than sons. Common domestic issues in any family are over property. And who wants this property always? – The sons!
- Daughters try and keep family under one shelter. They have no greed of money.
- When parents are old, daughters become more responsible than sons. This is because before marriage they care of their own parents and after marriage they take care of their family. Hence the essence of responsibility never dies in daughters.
- Daughters are more understanding and tolerant when compared to sons.
- When it comes to traditions and social engagements, daughters follow them more.
- In most of the household domestic work, daughters always stand first to help.
Having said above, it doesn’t mean that sons are not caring at all. Daughters are considered to be more caring because of the attachment with parents. Eventually the parents know that she won’t be staying with them for too long. End of the day it all depends on how the child is nurtured. If there is equality in the house, there can be no possible difference between a son and daughter.