The tests are designed according to the educational standards prescribed for the post. If the number of applicants is large, qualifying tests are held in two stages:
- Preliminary Exam
- Main Exam
For a very few specific categories, the written exam is followed by a verbal (oral) test, and for certain other categories a skills test. For categories related to operational safety, a psychological test is conducted as well. After the long selection procedures till medical examinations of the candidates, a panel of names is then recommended to zonal railway or the production unit, depending on the number of vacancies.
The selection for recruiting candidates for the Railway Recruitment Boards in India is done through written examination.
- In addition, Aptitude/skill test/interview can also be conducted wherever applicable. The Railway Recruitment Board at its discretion may hold additional written test(s)/skill test(s) and/or interview if considered necessary.
- The syllabus for the written examination is generally in conformity with the educational standards and/or technical qualifications prescribed for the posts.
- The questions are of objective/subjective nature on General Knowledge, General English, General Arithmetic, analytical and quantitative skills and knowledge in the subjects covered as part of minimum educational/technical qualification for the posts, subject to minor variations.
- The written examination consists of one sitting of about 90 minutes duration. The questions for the Aptitude Test are mainly to test perception, analytical and reasoning power of the candidates relevant to the safety categories.
- Final selection is based on the total marks obtained in the written examination and interview, wherever provided, plus clearing Aptitude/ skill test/ vision test etc. as required.
- The appointment of selected candidate is subject to his passing requisite Medical Fitness Test conducted by the Railway Administration.
|Assistant Driver (Electrical / Diesel)/Data Entry Operators/ Skilled Fitters/ Apprentice Fireman ‘A’/ Apprentice Wireless or Telecom Maintainer/Health Inspector Grade IV/Axle Unit Operators/Wheel Unit Operators/Electrical Signal Maintainer||18-30 yrs|
|Apprentice Mechanic (Mechanical/Electrical Diesel)/ Apprentice Signal Inspector/Apprentice Permanent Way Inspector/Depot Store Keeper/Raj Bhasha Sahayak / Apprentice Inspector of Works/Trainee Junior Draftsman (Electrical)/Apprentice Permanent Way Mistry/ Appr. Train Examiner Grade IlI/Appr. Jr. Engineer (Telecommunication/Works)||18-33 yrs|
|Train Examiners, Health Inspector||18-30 yrs|
|Apprentice Assistant Chargeman (Electronics/Mechanical)/Apprentice Senior Draftsman (Electronics/Mechanical)||18-32 yrs|
|Assistant Programmer/Diesel Foreman (Mechanical/ (Electrical)/Law Assistant /Pharmacist/Trainee Chargeman ‘B’ (Electrical/Electronics)||20-32 yrs|
|Staff Nurse||20-40 yrs|
|Teachers Grade I-IV||Below 45 yrs|
Candidates can apply for the technical cadre Examination of Railway recruitment Boards in India, through the application forms published in the daily Newspapers or Employment News by the respective RRBs.
RRB advertises vacancies in Employment News (a Government of India publication), and also on the website of Indian Railways. The applications received go through a primary screening. Eligible candidates are called for a written exam. The call letters are sent out a month in advance of the date of the examination.
For more details visit www.railwayrecruitment.org